Here’s how you can make your Mac speak selected text :
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences and click Speech
- Click “Text to Speech”
- Select the “Speak selected text when the key is pressed” checkbox
- Type one or more modifier keys (Command, Shift, Option, or Control) and another key to set the keys you’ll use to hear selected text. (mine was set to Option+Esc) If you change it Click OK when the key combination you typed appears in the text field.
- Choose the voice you want to listen to and the rate it reads.
- Highlight the text you want to listen to and press the Option Esc keys and start listening!
- To get it to stop speaking the text, select the Option Esc keys again.